Wednesday, January 30, 2013

CHICKEN ASPARAGUS MARSALA

As often as possible, I will share recipes so that you can try some of these delicious meals with your family.

I meant to post this the other night, but I didn't get a chance to, so I'm sharing now.  This meal is one of our family favorites, and I may or may not be drooling while I'm thinking about it.  It's called Chicken Asparagus Marsala, and is THE reason my kids beg and plead for more asparagus.  

Seriously.

As a rule, we double this to feed our five children and my very active, hungry husband.  Occasionally we even have leftovers for lunch the next day.  But I'll post the recipe as written. 

So without further ado...

CHICKEN ASPARAGUS MARSALA  
(adapted from the Maximized Living nutrition plan book)
4   chicken breast halves, boned and skinned
10 ounces asparagus spears, cut
2   Tbsp. butter (occasionally we add a Tbsp for flavor)
1   Tbsp. coconut oil or grapeseed oil (We occasionally add more of this as well, for flavor and moisture)
1/2 tsp. sea salt (added salt to taste while cooking chicken)
1/4 C. water
1/8 tsp. pepper (we don't use this because my kids do not love pepper and the flavor is wonderful without it)
1    Tbsp. Parsley, chopped diagonally into pieces
1/2  Pound mushrooms (this is something we use on occasion as it's not necessary, but does add to the meal)
1/4  C. Marsala Wine

The recipe says to pound the chicken pieces into 1/4- inch thickness.  I don't have that much free time, or anger to unleash, so we just cook the chicken breast halves as they are.  

Melt the butter and coconut oil in a frying pan over medium-high temperature.  Add chicken and cook, turning, for about five minutes or until the chicken is light brown.  Remove chicken and set aside.  To the drippings remaining in the frying pan, add the asparagus and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for about three minutes.  Return the chicken to the pan, add the Marsala wine, water, salt, and pepper.  

Bring the mixture to a boil for two minutes to reduce the liquid.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about three minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are tender.  Arrange the chicken on a serving platter.  Spoon the vegetable sauce over the chicken.  Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.  

Normally, I'd have a photo to share, but the kids were so hungry the other night that I had to feed them as soon as it came off the stove.  I'll make sure I snap a photo for next time!  

In the mean time, give this recipe a try.  Even people who don't eat healthy regularly will enjoy this!  

Thanks for reading!

The Fat Girl 
Slim

No comments:

Post a Comment