Friday, January 11, 2013

The Family That Eats Together...

So, it's not like I didn't know how to eat- obviously.  I mean- it's pretty simple- you take one bite after another...  right?

No.  As it turns out we've been doing it all wrong for hundreds of years!  The secret is in the chewing!  Who knew!??!?!  I'm so kidding...

What I'm in the middle of learning is that there is so much more to eating than I ever thought or knew, or even began to consider.

Some of what I've learned won't surprise you, but other parts may very well cause you to shake your head in disbelief...  and then jump over to Google to check the accuracy of what I'm sharing here.  Seriously.

I feel the need to clarify- I didn't enter in to this lifestyle lightly...  clearly.  ;)

As I've mentioned before, I have started so many "diets" and lifestyle changes, that I had absolutely no desire to try anything new.

And then I went to a conference put on by our Chiropractor and his wife, Whitney.  Some of the information was "new-agey", but it was still information I'd learned before.  But then Whitney began sharing some information and perspectives that I had never  before considered.

Then my brain started reeling.  I could feel the excitement rising up inside of me.  I just knew that when I walked out of there, I would be ready to start my next diet.

And then she started talking about our children and the impact nutrition choices make on them as well.  I started to squirm in my seat because my 9 year old daughter and my husband were also listening to this.  I couldn't help but wonder if they were really hearing this, or if they were sleeping with their eyes open. I tried to make eye contact to see what they were thinking, but all I could get was the side of their zombie-eyed faces... and what appeared to be a little drool.  They were both completely unresponsive, so I began to get discouraged.

But then that moment happened when my daughter leaned in to me and asked if we could start eating the way Whitney was describing.  Seriously.  She said she didn't realize that the food she had been eating had been affecting her the way it had been.  (I'm not making this up, folks...  She really is almost ten, with the mind of an adult.)

After this, my husband started acknowledging several of the points Whitney mentioned, and by the end of the evening, both my husband and my daughter were completely excited and on board to make some permanent, healthy changes.  After years of trying on my own, and working hard to get my health back while the rest of my family continued to eat Dominos Pizza and Chick-Fil-A, my family would now be doing this- as a team!  Yes, we affectionately call ourselves Team Muhle.  

I was thinking about having shirts made...  what do you think?  I'm kidding.
  

I know the whole "team thing" may sound a bit dramatic, but if you've ever been twice your suggested healthy weight, as I've mentioned I was, you probably know what a huge deal this was for me.

So during the course of the evening, Whitney introduced us to several new concepts (cue Google search).  With her permission, I am going to share with you some of that information here.

One of the first things mentioned during the course of the evening, was the need to make this change as a family.  Whitney writes:
"It is never too late to make good changes. However, families must make the change together. When families come into our office wanting to making a change in their health, I can tell you that the most successful families are the ones who dive in 100% and who have ALL of the family members on board! If you truly want to make a transformation, do not allow any of the children to sit on the sidelines and watch as the rest of the family thrives. This goes for parents as well! This is a life changing move, one that you will not regret, but you can do it better together!" (Borrowed from Abundant Life Chiropractic and Whitney Zaino)

I know that's probably not what you expected to read when you clicked on to a blog about losing weight.  And I'm not purposefully leaving out or avoiding sharing your official "what to buy/ what not to buy" grocery list.  I just feel the need to really drive home some of the most important things we have learned on this journey.  Because, friend, you can go to the store and buy all of the healthy food you want to buy- but until the foundation has been laid for your success, you will likely end up like the old me- with some really healthy food... rotting in your fridge, and Chick- Fil-A in your mouth.  

So today's lesson?  

Accountability is vital to your overall success.   

More than any specific foods or supplements (or chewing techniques)- I'd say that the choice for our family to do this together has had a lasting impact- one that I'm certain will carry on to my children's children... and beyond.  I say that because this choice not only affected me and my ability to succeed, but it also encouraged a spirit of unity and teamwork, bringing our whole family closer than we've ever been before.   

So maybe you are single, or don't have any children.  Maybe your spouse isn't on board with the changes you are trying to make.  Don't give up.  Instead- find someone who can hold you accountable- someone who will laugh with you, cry with you, cheer you on, or challenge you to keep going.  Find someone who will walk with you as you press on, journeying towards health and wellness.  

You can do this.  We can do this!  

And don't forget- you aren't alone.  I'm on this journey with you.

Thanks for reading!

The Fat Girl, Slim




No comments:

Post a Comment